Friday, July 16, 2010

Macy's Herald Square, 1907

Macy's in Herald Square was our family department store when we lived in the city. Love seeing the El, a streetcar and horse-pulled wagons all in one shot. 

Oct 24/07 Dear Louise received your card is very nice will be over Sunday with love from Fred
At least I think that's Fred...Miss Louise Ludwig lived in Maspeth, Long Island, more familiar to us today as Maspeth, Queens. Back then it must have been quite the country outpost. Love the printed message on the reverse, "Save Steps!" featuring all the latest technology: Mechanical Carriers, Pneumatic Tubes, etc.  The card was a business show souvenir, and Lamson Consolidated Store Service Co. was clever to give these away. But what on earth are "Time Systematizers"? Time clocks, perhaps.


As always, check out the blog of our gracious hostess for Postcard Friendship Friday, Beth at The Best Hearts Are Crunchy, where you'll find links for many more vintage postcards.

 

12 comments:

  1. I love Macy's in NY! Fun card. Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adore this postcard and your blog. Thank you so much for your contribution!

    Have a perfectly wonderful PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card! I'm not sure what a time systemizer is either, but it sounds like something I might need! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A double delight, both sides and franks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's no Macy's in Amsterdam or in another city of the Netherlands, but it seems like an enormous store. Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky of you to own one vintage postcard like this. I love the handwriting of people long ago. Now they are regarded as calligraphic writing.

    This is my first entry to Postcard Friendship Friday.

    Over the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes me want to go shopping! Happy PFF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once inside MACY'S, a woman wonders if she MAY SEIZE some of those goodies. :)
    The subliminal message from the name MACY'S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful vintage postcard--I love to read comments from people who lived long ago--I wonder what they would think of our world now?

    I'm so curious about what a systemizer might be. lol Who knows? I'll have to look it up online.

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful postcard. I enlarged it to see better, and it is full of wonderful vintage!

    I especially love the way the men are dressed - all suits and ties. I can only imagine what it would be like to transplant a few of these dapper gentlemen onto the streets of today!

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The post card from Herald Square is simply amazing! Where did you find a 100 year old post card in such great condition?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for commenting on this post! I find post cards in many different antique and flea markets. In NYC, I would recommend the Green Flea on Sundays, Columbus Ave. bet. 77 and 76th Streets.

    ReplyDelete