Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mustang Sally, c. 1970


 
Here's my Sepia Saturday contribution, on the theme of cars. Yes, in high school I dated a guy with a Mustang, and I thought I was pretty cool. Top and middle photos are likely 1969, the year my family moved to Ozone Park, Queens, where the photo was taken. The car is a 1966 Mustang, I think. Spent many a weekend helping my beau wash and wax this car (turtle wax!) buying accessories in auto shops (tire gauges, special driving gloves, a leather wrap for the steering wheel). Car shows in the old NY Coliseum. 
 
The mini skirt in the 1971 picture above is actually a hot pants/culottes thing. Don't ask. For those who are familiar with Queens, that's Woodhaven Blvd. in the background, approaching Atlantic Ave.

I was listening to a lot of Al Green at the time. His music always takes me back to the days I rode around in a Mustang.

Click the logo below for more Sepia Saturday posts:



13 comments:

  1. Fabulous photos and I love the hot pants/culottes, I can remember them so well and my netball team had them for our uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought you should be listening to mustang sally.
    I remember hot paints too. I remember having the guts to wear them to work - whistles from the guys and very dirty looks from the gals. I think I only wore them once!
    Nancy Javier
    Ladies of the grove

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mustang Sally sounds like a name from the Wild West, not New York. I never wore hot pants, but I shortened all my skirts and had some fairly short culottes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool car, and you look pretty cool too! We saw Al Green in Edinburgh a few years ago and he was fantastic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and that car look great together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, now I've got Mustang Sally in my head and can't get it to stop. But then why would I want to stop Wilson Pickett singing in my head?

    Great snapshots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I remember Turtle Wax and I remember trying to get a shine out of it. Come to think of it, I remember hot pants as well! Great memories, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess that's why you chose Mustang Sally for your webname - and there was me thinking that you liked wild horses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can remember one of the men at work arguing that hot pants were more decorous than mini skirts. Depends on the mini skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Car, Lovely pic of you, so whatever happened to this guy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heh heh, funny you should ask. I broke up with the guy in my senior year of high school. He tracked me down three years ago (of course, the internet is implicated). We had dinner and drinks. I thought, what's the harm? He's married with grown kids. My parents knew his parents long ago. What I discovered is a man going through a midlife crisis, who wanted to confide (and brag) about his affair with a younger woman! I felt sad for the old beau, that he was not at peace with his choices in life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what fun and Al Green's music....a mustang was really the car for a kid to have! Glad yu have photos and shared them...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember those hot pants and how unfortunate some looked into those. It was obviously not your problem.
    Fun post!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete